There are various ways and means of support given by the al-Abbas's (p) holy shrine to the protesters of the battle of reform, who demanded their rights advocated for more than two months ago and on which sake hundreds have died and thousands are wounded. Thus the Holy Shrine has had a supportive stand in Tahrir Square through its installation of a mobile water station (RO) to provide the demonstrators with pure water around the clock.
This station is run by the Relief and Support Division of the al-Abbas's (p) Holy Shrine and the Baghdad Governorate Unit, and it is part of a series of services provided by the Division's procession there, and it started since the start of the first demonstrations.
The al-Kafeel Global Network contacted the engineer, Wissam Al-Saadi, the head of the Baghdad / Rusafa Unit, to talk to us about this station and the services it provides. He stated: “The al-Abbas's (p) holy shrine provided and still provides a lot to our people on various occasions, including what it provided to the demonstrators, where it sent to the Tahrir Square an integrated mobile water station (RO) to supply the demonstrators with what they need of clean water, because there is a lot of demand for it and also because of the lack of clean water sources there.”
He added: "The plant operates with a production capacity of (5000) liters per hour, and it is distributed to:
- Protesters' service processions spread inside and around the demonstration square.
- The fixed whereabouts of the demonstrators.
- The marches of demonstrators that come to the Tahrir Square from inside and outside Baghdad. "
He explained: "This is in addition to the distribution of water glasses that come to us from the al-Kafeel water plant transported by the supporting vehicles of the holy shrine"
Al-Saadi concluded: "All of the above comes from the faith of the holy shrine in supporting the cause of the Iraqi people in their battle against the corrupt, and it continues until the fulfillment of the demands of the revolutionary masses."
It is noteworthy that the al-Abbas's (p) Holy Shrine provided a number of services in support of the demonstrators, which included:
- Preparation of thousands of meals prepared in the host restaurant of the al-Abbas's (p) Holy Shrine, and distributed to them in the squares where they gather.
- Distribution of thousands of drinking water cups.
- Distribution of juices, fruits and tea at different times of the day.
- Sending specialized vehicles for cleaning the square and its surroundings.
- A number of water stations were opened and deployed on the perimeter of the square to provide the demonstrators with clean water.
- Treatment of all casualties, whether from demonstrators or security forces in the al-Kafeel Hospital free of charge.
- Opening a tent for the medical training and rescue, to train the protesters on first aid of critical cases, in addition to contributing to rescue the wounded.
- Sending logistic aid convoys to support the protesters in the Tahrir Square in Baghdad.
- Contributing to the transportation of demonstrators from the holy city of Karbala to Tahrir Square in Baghdad, in the major demonstration.
- Contributing to the treatment of many cases of injured demonstrators from the province of Dhi Qar.
- Holding condolence councils in respect of the martyrs of the demonstrations in Iraq.