The Carpets Unit of the al-Kafeel Museum of Treasures and Manuscripts of the al-Abbas's (p) Holy Shrine works on the maintenance and restoration of carpets using modern methods commensurate with the atmosphere in the country under the supervision of professional and specialized cadres.
The most important feature of this unit is the mechanism of carpet storage, which is carried out in a scientific way in the museum's store, characterized by modern storage methods of luxury carpets. The storage process passes by several stages, including:
- Installing the database for the piece (measurements, quality).
- Cleaning the carpet from dust.
- Providing each carpet with a special code called (barcode).
- Using some natural materials repelling insects and rodents.
- Rolling the carpet on a tube after wrapping it with a layer of aluminium and nylon.
- Covering the carpet with linen cloth.
It is noteworthy that the al-Kafeel Museum of the treasures and manuscripts is one of the first museums that opened at the holy shrines in Iraq, in 2009, coinciding with the birth anniversary of the Immaculate Lady Zaynab (peace be upon her). The museum contains a large number of valuables and antiques.