The al-Abbas's (p) Holy Shrine paid attention to the agricultural sector through a number of projects, as a contribution to supporting this sector, achieving food security and self-sufficiency in agricultural crops directly related to the citizen's sustenance. Among these projects are the farms of Khayrat Aba al-Fadl al-Abbas (peace be upon him) affiliated with the al-Kafeel company for public investments, which spared no effort to provide the farms with the latest agricultural scientific techniques used worldwide, starting from seeds, greenhouses, irrigation water, methods of controlling agricultural pests, which led to the harvest of a crop of high nutritional value.
Engineer Ali Maz'al Layedh, Head of the Agricultural Affairs and Livestock Department in the aforementioned company, stated to the al-Kafeel Network: “These farms are devoted to growing vegetable crops, which include both tomatoes and eggplant crops, as well as hot and sweet peppers and cucumbers, in addition to what is known as alternative crops, which are cherry tomatoes, cabbage and cauliflower."
He indicated: “The establishment of these farms is directed in several directions, including being a pioneer in the field of cultivating these aforementioned crops, since they constitute a large percentage of the citizen’s daily consumption. The other side is the charitable aspect by providing a product of high quality at an appropriate price, in line with the per capita income of Iraqis, by making our product available in easy ways for the citizen with a limited income."
Regarding the objectives of this project, Layedh said: “The project aims at:
- Reclamation of large areas of land.
- Contributing to increasing the local product and achieving the principle of self-sufficiency, as our products were able to meet more than 20% of the province's need.
- To employ the largest number of manpower specialized in this important and vital field, which has recently witnessed a remarkable reluctance by farmers due to the obstacles facing their projects.
- Encouraging farmers and encouraging them to use modern methods of agriculture.
- Farms are a suitable location for conducting scientific experiments and making use of them in the field of scientific research.
- Providing products at reasonable prices, with high quality and nutritional value, as they depend on non-chemical organic fertilizers.
It is noteworthy that the al-Abbas's (p) Holy Shrine has greatly contributed to supplying the local market with high-quality food and animal products, through its reliance on fertilizers and fodder free from substances that lead to harm to human health, in addition to providing these products at reasonable prices for those with limited income.