Based on the design plans, the expansion project of the holy shrine of Aba al-Fadl al-Abbas (peace be upon him) by roofing its holy sanctuary, which is scheduled to open soon, it has passed through several stages, the most important of these stages are:
- Architectural design phase:
After the approval of the architectural design phase, which is in engineering calculations one of the most important stages, because it is the first step on the basis of which the second stage (the structural detailed design stage) is achieved. And in this project, it was hoped that it coincides at the same time in the implementation, but the keenness of the Secretariat General of the al-Abbas's (p) holy shrine to establish an integrated project, it was decided that after that the architectural design was approved, the structural design was also ready as they are associated since the beginning.
- Structural design phase:
The designs were comprehensive for all aspects of the project, including:
- Designs of the concrete columns surrounding the old sanctuary, as well as the concrete ligaments surrounding the roof of the ancient wall installations, on which was based the iron structure.
- All parts of the roof structure are of Cast Iron even (nuts and bolts).
- Sandwich panels were used for the roofing.
- The installation of glass tents, glass windows for the fixed domes, so as to get natural sky light in the daytime with the feature that the tents can be moved automatically. The used glass is unique as it is anti-crush even after breakage because it contains gelatinous padding, specially manufactured for the project in accordance with the specifications of the design engineer, and that represents the moving part of the project.
- Designing the service systems: (air conditioning and cooling, lighting, communications, acoustics, cleaning of the glass tents, water drainage, etc.).
- Implementation Phase:
For which, the contract was signed with the Ard al-Quds Contracting Company; as a designer and supervisor on the implementation, its duty was to complete the construction and architectural designs, and to develop requirements and architectural and civil specifications with all electrical details and others, as well as to choose the companies that will implement the parts that its own employees are not able to execute under its supervision of the latter, to fit its specifications laid down by the company in material composition and design.
The engineering projects Department at the al-Abbas's (p) Holy Shrine was the direct supervising authority and following up on the ground the implementation of all parts of the project.