The sanitary complex near the al-Abbas's (p) Holy Shrine from the side of Maqam of the left hand is one of the important complexes that serve the visitors throughout the year, especially during the Ziyarat of Millions when it is overcrowding, and as a result of its large use some of its parts have been damaged. Therefore, Engineering Maintenance Department started the work of maintenance, rehabilitation and restoration of this important sanitary facility, which provides services to millions of visitors annually, and the works were recently completed.
The head of the engineering maintenance department at the al-Abbas's (p) holy shrine, Eng. Abbas Musa, briefed us on these works by saying: "As part of our continuous efforts to maintain and rehabilitate all internal and external facilities of the al-Abbas's (p) holy shrine, in order to contribute to providing the best services to visitors, our department has recently completed the rehabilitation of one of the sanitary complexes used by large numbers of visitors, especially during the days of the special Ziyarat in which millions of visitors flock to perform the Ziyarat of the two holy shrines. This complex is largely used because it is located close to the holy shrine, and this is what made it need ongoing and continuous maintenance for the sustainability of its work. "
The supervisor of the Civil Unit in the Department of Engineering Maintenance and responsible for these works Engineer Ammar Salah Mahdi, added: "During our periodic inspection of the sanitary facilities of the holy shrine, we saw that this complex needs a complete maintenance and rehabilitation, because of moisture and time factor, as this complex is subjected to very high pressure by visitors, and after conducting field and technical study, we started the work."
He added: "The work in the sanitary complex continued for almost a month and included both floors, and now it is ready to offer its services to visitors. A number of units working in the engineering maintenance, have contributed to the completion of its works, which included:
- Cracking and removing fully the former floors of the sanitary complex.
- Treatment of floors and walls with moisture and salt insulating chemicals.
- Molding and packaging of flooring with ceramic material and laminate floors coating with (granite).
- Rehabilitation of all sinks within the sanitary complex.
- Maintenance and treatment of all water pipes and the replacement of the damaged ones.
- Maintenance of the sewage network in both floors.
- Cover ceilings with new secondary ceilings with a modern architectural style.
- Maintenance of all doors to the sanitary complex and replacing the damaged ones.
- Maintenance of electrical network which included wires, lamps.
- Coating all the walls of the complex with waterproof paint and paint exterior doors."